In this episode of the Net Effects Podcast, co-hosts Les Ottolenghi and Mark Bavisotto interview Todd Olson, CEO and Founder at Pendo. The unicorn company, Pendo, founded by Todd Olson, is “on a mission to improve the world’s experiences with software”.
In this episode, Net Effects Podcast co-hosts and Olson – who specializes in startup product development, software architecture, offshore software development, entrepreneurship – discuss the realities of starting, running, and learning from startup ventures.
- Olson launched his first startup as a junior at Carnegie Mellon University, it grew to 70 employees and raised venture capital, yet it ultimately didn’t pan out into the success that he wanted. It did, however, impart “life-defining moments” and lessons in appreciation and confidence.
- The pandemic has accelerated digital business models and a digital-first approach. At Pendo, they consider how digital transformation is affecting the marketplace as customers want accessible digital engagement on their own time; and on the flip-side with digital products, companies can provide differentiation beyond a physical product.
- Product market fit is an essential factor for all entrepreneurs to consider when building a brand and company. Olson recommends reading The Four Steps to the Epiphany: Successful Strategies for Products that Win by Steve Blank.
- There’s a lot going on in the world, so it’s important to create space and “avenues” for processing feelings and talking with others. Pendo has taken substantive action in welcoming social transformation by hiring a Director of DEI and publishing information on their website under “Transparency.” It is ultimately about creating a peaceful environment and helping everyone feel welcome, explains Olson.
- What do we like about this current time? And what do we want to keep? As we move into a post-COVID world, it’s important to take the best of the past year and incorporate it into the next chapter.
This episode of Net Effects Podcast, featuring Todd Olson, provides relatable anecdotes and real-world advice for running a company in the 21st-Century while also weaving in digital, social, and personal transformation. Listen to the full episode now.
About Todd Olson and Pendo: Todd is the founder and CEO of Pendo. A graduate of Carnegie Mellon University, Todd has spent over two decades launching and scaling companies. Beginning in his formative years, Todd demonstrated an incredible talent for software architecture and computer programming. He attended Carnegie Mellon and while there launched a startup, Cerebellum. He grew the company over the next four years, gathering a wealth of startup experience. After Cerebellum, Todd started other software ventures, in addition to serving as VP of Products and Product Development at TogetherSoft and Rally Software Development. In 2014, using his exceptional product development knowledge and market analysis, Todd launched Pendo. Pendo helps companies drive software adoption through product experience solutions and digital adoption solutions. The company has been recognized for numerous accolades including ranking 26th on this year’s Inc. 5000 list and “Best Workplaces,” Glassdoor’s “Best Private Cloud Company to Work For,” as well as Forbes’s “2018 The Next Billion-Dollar Startups” and “Cloud 100: The World’s Best Cloud Companies (2018-2020). Find more information at www.pendo.io.